Friday, March 21, 2008

A little chamelion

I went to an appointment today with a practitioner I see on a regular basis. When she walked out of her office I didn't recognize her. I think the first thing out of my mouth was, "Oh my God! You are gorgeous!" She had completely changed her hair....that's it.

I oood and awed over her hair and had her turn and touched it. I just loved the way it made her look sassy and sexy. She usually has lovely, curly hair that, those of us with straight hair envy, totally reflects her personality. But, this new hair made a different light shine through. It didn't take too long for her to share the secret.

It was a wig. A really good wig! She had found this store and played with various styles one day. She discovered that she liked the way she could change her persona with something as simple as wearing a wig. I have to say....it was working for her. So, the question is, is wearing a wig changing who you are to the point that you are being deceptive?

I personally think that it is just like clothes. Some days you feel different than others. There are days for power suits and days for jogging suits. Doesn't it really depend on who we are in that moment? Fundamentally, I think we always have the same style. If you are a classic you will still be a classic whether you are wearing your version of sexy or your version of work attire. But a wig helps you to express who you are in that moment. That's how this friend was feeling. She was expressing a more joyous side of who she is.

Think about the possibilities that open up with the wigs that are available today. When I got married I wanted my hair to be in a high up do. Well, I just didn't have enough hair to make that happen. I was going to be in Los Angeles on business and what better place to find hair than the city of angels. I visited His&Her hair on Wilshire Blvd. I think that is when I became a hair junky. But on the day that I got married my hair was piled high on top of my head with flowers braided into it. I felt, appropriately, just like a princess.

Next time you are feeling like you want a little change in your life, don't discount what a change of hair can do for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize
One of my favorite quotes is from "Steel Magnolias": "Clairee" says: "the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" which I agree with whole-heartedly!

I have quite a collection of large rings, chunky bracelets & necklaces. A v-neck or scoop neck top gives you a great "canvas", but don't discount wearing a (longer) necklace with a turtleneck either!

Today I'm wearing a Gap t-shirt with my mother's pearls & a cardigan. I feel pretty even if no one acknowledges it to me directly!

I used to only wear/buy real Sterling Silver or gold, but I find myself mixing those 2 precious metals with the costume stuff & love it.

So I say "accessorize & have fun with it!"

jennifer01 said...

its very good blog site , I really liked it , it contains lot of good and important informations about bath and body products
=====================================
Bath and Body