Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Does Size Matter?

I have to start this blog entry with a disclaimer. I absolutely do not believe that size matters when it comes to beauty. I think that if we put parameters around what beauty looks like that we end up with a society that has no flavor or diversity. We end up all looking the same. With that said...I want to talk about size and clothing.

Here goes....I am 4'11" and range from a size 10-14 on any given day. Today, I happen to be around a size 14. A lot of women keep wardrobes in a couple of different sizes. I keep 3 wardrobes in different sizes and can change size 3 times in a month depending on what I am eating and how much exercise I am getting. I don't mind my size. I wear it well and don't spend too much energy on worrying about it unless I am trying to buy clothes.

The only time that clothing fits me well is when I am a size 4 in misses or 6 in petites. Otherwise, most things are too long in the torso (I am short waisted) and long in the rise (still short waisted). I have all the resources in the country available to me and I still struggle to find clothing that fits well. So, what is the solution?

Here is the best way to handle being a size that clothing manufacturers do not address:

  1. Less is more! Don't buy something and wear it because it fits okay. Wear things that fit fabulous even if that means you wear them over and over. You will feel better than if you wear something that you fuss with the entire time that you have it on.
  2. Avoid shopping sales. Buy what fits you well regardless of the price. If you follow the less is more philosophy you can afford to spend more on clothing that makes you feel good about yourself.
  3. Find a seamstress who can alter what you buy. Lengths on sleeves, pants and skirts can easily be changed. Find a seamstress who has the skills to do even more. Mine recently removed the waistband and zipper of a skirt that had a decorative bottom and shortened it from the top.
  4. Do not blame your body. The fault does not lie in your size or shape. Designers and manufacturers are not addressing the needs of all women. Bottom line....be kind to yourself. The more you hate your body and the way you look, the more it effects the quality of your life.

There is a change coming in the apparel industry. Finally, the people in the industry are beginning to see the value in addressing different women's shapes and sizes. A couple of examples are Fitlogic Pants that are sold according to waist and hip size and Triofit from Rebecca&Drew Manufacturing that are sold according to bra size, waist and hip measurements (unfortunately, they aren't available in petites). My favorite, not just because she is a friend, but because she has the product that stresses us the most is Lori Coulter TrueMeasure bathing suits. A body scan takes over 140 measurements and translates those into the perfect fitting bathing suit!

The changes will continue to be made as long as women demand it and support the pioneers in this area. Remember, buy less for more and get the most!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gini - thanks so much for this blog. I think you told the story that is true for probably 90% of the population. I keep telling my self that "this is not my size" so I refuse to buy clothes until I reach my "ideal size or weight". To get by, I purchase things on sale or on the cheap (because why would I spend a fortune if this is not my size). So, OK, it's been 10 years. I think that it is finally time to buy something that fits and fits well and spend the money to look fabulous - raher than shop cheap to look frumpy. Thank you for being honest with us about your weight and size and struggle. You exude confidence and always look put together - but it's good to hear you have the same struggles that the rest of the adult female population has! Keep teaching us - I love the encouragement.
Angela Lieb