Monday, May 25, 2009

Pink Capri Pants


I made a commitment recently to donate $10 from every pair of pink capri pants that we sell. Well, it's one thing to make the commitment and another to get the word out so that you can raise money and awareness. So, I wrote my blog and posted links on my website.

I have a daily routine that I do to check and see how well my keywords are actually working. Today I went in and checked "products that donate to breast cancer research". I was looking for the article that I put on my website using that exact search term. I came across an article of a different nature.

The article was about pinkwashing. It was on a PR watch site. At first it kind of made me mad. So what if companies were marketing their products around breast cancer awareness as long as they were raising money. But, the more I read the more I understood what they were talking about. And sure enough, I was guilty of pinkwashing. I was just raising money and selling products. I wasn't doing anything personally to make women aware of the dangers of breast cancer or the ways that we can prevent it.

Ironically, today I was home because it was Memorial Day and I sat down to watch Oprah. It was about breast cancer! You think I'm getting a strong message here? I learned a lot...and a lot that scared me.

I assumed that I was a low risk woman because there has never been any breast cancer in my family. WRONG. 70% of women who get breast cancer have no family history.

I assumed that if I ever did get breast cancer that it would be caught early because I get mammograms. WRONG. If you have dense breast tissue then some cancer won't show up on a mammogram. And the only way to know if you have dense breast tissue is to ask the radiologist the question. Who knew?

I thought that drugs were the only way to affect the cancer if you did get it. WRONG. Some women who have had breast cancer have been able to reduce the growth/spread by as much as 25% with a change in diet. Imagine how much we could do for prevention just knowing that diet affects breast cancer that much.

What I learned today is amazing. I am still making the same offer of $10 being donated for every pair of pink capri pants that we sell. But, I want you to get more from us than that. I want you to know what you can do to prevent breast cancer. I want you to know that we are making sure that the money we donate goes to organizations that focus on prevention as well as a cure.

Visit http://www.krazylarrypants.com/ to find out more about how we have joined in the fight against breast cancer.

Thank you!

No comments: